The Year of Living Nomadically

Documenting Zenzi's professional development leave from Tech

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

1st post from Sweden

FROM FLOBY SWEDEN (population ~2000)
The hardship of life without wi-fi or even a DSL line in one’s room! But there is hope. My cousins up the hill have DSL and they think the encrypted signal I get at my grandmother’s apartment comes from their friend across the street who will let me tap in once they ask him.

My visit to Michigan was short but fun. I followed along with my friend Bonnie’s media class when they went to Flint to see an exhibit on social documentary photography, Thy Brother’s Keeper. The photos were excellent and may look even better on-line than printed out. Intermittent rain and the constant threat of rain kept me from unpacking my bike for a ride. However, I was well entertained by political conversations with Bonnie (it was actually a crash course in current events for me), her zoo of pets (see photo of her placing a newly purchased fake blue laia on Schmoopsie) and Drew’s musical prowess including his recent mastery of the saw. 2006_05_16_bonnie_schmoops2 2006_05_17_drew_plays_saw2

My sister Pam and her mother-in-law picked me up in Copenhagen and drove me to my sister’s house in the Swedish countryside. In addition to catching up with my very pregnant sister and her husband Mikael, we were able to capture the similarity between her bulging belly and the costumed innebandy-ball dancing around Helsingborg square in honor of the world cup in innebandy (like indoor, skateless hockey). I was also able to re-acquaint myself with the broad selection of pickled herring and caviar on in the shops. 2006_05_20_pams_mage_o_bandyboll 2006_05_20_sill_kaviar

On Sunday, we drove up to Floby where my grandmother (hereafter mormor), several cousins, uncle, and aunt live. Mormor made a wonderful birthday dinner for me with poached salmon, white asparagus, salad, and homemade vanilla-sherry ice cream. The next day after breakfast, morning coffee (including cookies), lunch (the main meal of the day, with dessert), the family came back to celebrate my birthday with a chocolate mouse cake and evening coffee. Luckily I was able to go for a quick run so I worked off a fraction of the massive number of calories.

Like Michigan, Sweden has been gray and rainy with highs in the 50s. I have resigned myself to riding in the rain, but I haven’t had a chance to ride yet. It was only today that I re-assembled the Merlin. Its suitcase has managed to break a wheel during each flight (no unbroken ones left now), but the bike seems fine except for a decal on the stem that is somewhat damaged and the rear derailleur cable that needs to be replaced due to unraveling. I’m a bit worried about getting the cranks on right so I will consult Sheldon Brown before I go for a ride. My cousin-in-law Fia bought me a local map of bicycle paths. There are about 6 marked loops to choose from. I’m considering participating in a group ride (race?) on Sunday. It will probably rain. Every forecast I have seen is for rain. Enjoy your weather!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home