The Year of Living Nomadically

Documenting Zenzi's professional development leave from Tech

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Proud aunt


This past weekend I ventured out of NYC to visit one of my nieces outside of Philadelphia where she was graduating from Haverford College. Kelsey is the daughter of my ex-husband's sister and I've known her since she was 5 years old. Earning a degree is always an impressive achievement, but in Kelsey's case the accomplishment was far above average because she paid her way through college (often working 3 jobs) and her yearly tuition rivals the yearly income of most of my friends.

I also want to post a photo of my youngest niece, Michelle, since my mother just sent me one of them together (my sister is in the background to the right). Michelle is the daughter of my one-and-only full sister Pam. Michelle can now stand are on her own. I take this as a good sign that she will flourish like Kelsey some day.

Finally I will note that I am starting to feel old. I can't blame it all on these kids, but there is something particularly wrenching about sipping margaritas with someone who calls you Aunt Zenzi. On the bright side, people often seem surprised that I am not in my 20s anymore. On the dark side, the mistake is only made by guys who don't know any better and I am beginning to appreciate the mistake as a compliment rather than arguing that they need to redefine their notion of what a woman in her late 30s looks like.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At Sunday, 03 June, 2007, Blogger ETP said...

So, when I read "ex-husband" there, I thought "Ex-husband? But you and Dan weren't --- oh, wait, I went to that wedding didn't I? Right. Nevermind."

Even called out "skol!" at the appropriate time too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home