The Year of Living Nomadically

Documenting Zenzi's professional development leave from Tech

Saturday, July 21, 2007

Vino wins time trial

TdF cyclist photo credits:FRANCK FIFE/AFP/Getty Images

Despite his 15-60 stitches & a tough week, Vino dominated the time trial today to claw his way back into the top 10 for the general classification. It was an exciting stage, scrambling the rankings in the top 10, although Rasmussen "rode the time trial of his life" (to loosely translate from the Dutch commentators) to stay in 1st place. Cognates between Dutch and Swedish also helped me appreciate the comments about Moreau having mentally cracked, which is sad since he was the great French hope. C'est la vie, I guess. I don't know what was up with Valverde but it was sad to see him riding so slowly. Could his stubble have been slowing him down?


Tomorrow is Stage 14, which may be the decisive mountain stage for the General Classification. A significant contributor to its challenge is the beyond category climb to Col de Pailhéres, which I cycled up twice last summer (I'm too vain to tell you how much time it took me). It is probably the most beautiful cycling climbs I've ever done. The climb is 1216 meters over 15 km, preceded by a trip through a spectacular gorge. The grade occassionally averages 9.5%. It would be worth watching this stage simply for the scenery. Even in July, there were patches of snow at the top! To thoroughly crush cyclists' spirits, each kilometer has a sign indicating the average grade. However, words of encouragement (for the most part) are written across the pavement from previous Tours, which are heartening to read as one suffers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home